The Westfjords are off the beaten track. Words such as rugged, distant and remote come to mind when you think about this region. But that does not mean that the region is completely inaccessible. If you have rented a car, you can drive from Reykjavik to the Ísafjörður, the main town of the region in some five and half hours, the distance is 452 Kilometers or 280 Miles.
As is reflected in the articles below, the area is for those who want to go off the beaten path and connect with nature.
Highlights of the Westfjords include
- The beautiful fising town of Ísafjörður – the capital of the region
- Have a meal at Tjöruhúsið restaurant in Ísafjörður. It may be the best restaurant in Iceland, at least for fish!
- See Dynjandi waterfall. Do. Not. Miss. It.
- Venture to the puffin capital of Iceland – the Látrabjarg cliffs (note that this is in the south west extreme of Westfords and some 200 KM (124 miles)
- Rauðisandur beach. Yellow sand in Iceland? Yes you bet.